- Location: Cairns
- Salary: $70,000 per annum, plus superannuation
- Hours: Full time (38 hours per week) or 0.6-0.8 FTE if preferred
- Contract period: This is 12 month position
About this Role
This role will work within the Our Islands Our Home team and alongside our partner organisations to help deliver the goals of the Our Islands Our Home campaign. This will include consulting and working with the Torres Strait Islander community in Cairns to run a nonpartisan campaign in the lead up to the Federal election, expected in early 2022, calling for climate change impacts on the Torres Strait to be addressed. In this role your duties will include:
- Providing training and support to Torres Strait Islander community members to take action on the campaign.
- Organising community events that educate and mobilise the broader Cairns community.
- Collecting content and stories for promoting the campaign, video footage, and photos.
- Coordinating advocacy efforts targeting all candidates and parties in the lead up to the next Federal election.
- Inviting local media outlets to cover the campaign and interview campaign spokespeople.
Required skills & experience:
- Commitment to the goals of the Our Islands Our Home campaign and passion for climate justice
- Confidence to organise and speak at campaign events and meetings
- An understanding of how to use social media and other digital tools
- The ability to inspire, train and mentor people and groups to take action for the Our Islands Our Home campaign
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- A commitment to being a team player, able to collaborate, set and deliver outcomes as part of a team.
How to apply
We strongly encourage Torres Strait Islander people to apply for this role.
For a confidential conversation about this position, email firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply, please send a CV/resume and a 1-2 page letter addressing the skills and experience listed above to email@example.com by August 31st.